Friday, April 24, 2020

Inexpensive Smart TV - Part 1.

Frustrated from the world-wide Covid-19 clamp down I have been unable to sleep having lost track of time. I got tired of watching TV - I hadn't paid for subscription on DSTV for so long, I am sure the might have flagged my account to be delisted. I could have been watching movies on Netflix, or my favorite documentaries from the internet if only I had a smart TV. I wanted to buy one a few years ago, but they were much too expensive for my liking...

So that's when it hit me that I could actually use Raspberry Pi to make my old TV a Smart TV. That sure sound like a good Covid Project.


I posted the above video on my Whats App status page, and my mailbox started overflowing with request on the "How Tos". The reaction was so much that I have decided to make a follow-up video to guide anyone who is interested.



So the list of things to prepare are as follows
  1.  A TV with HDMI or VGA port.
  2.  A short HDMI cable OR A HDMI - VGA adaptor if your TV doesn't have a HDMI port.
  3.  A high quality SD card with at least 16Gig storage space (Nothing else on the SD it will be reformated and all files deleted)
  4.  A laptop or PC with full adminstrative privilages to allow you install on.
  5. Full access to the Internet (Preferably high bandwidth).
  6.  2 Sided Velcro to stick our Pi to the back of the TV
  7.  Raspberry Pi - Preferably RP4, but RPi Zero, Pi 1 - 3 will still work.
I will be waiting patiently for you to order for these parts and we can start the simple 5 steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment